Consumer Title Resource | Since 2009!

Getting a Lost Car Title when it is not in Your Name

Obtaining a New Title:
If the car isn’t in your name, getting a replacement title involves two steps: transferring it to your name and then obtaining a new title. In some cases, these steps can be done simultaneously, especially in states like Vermont.

Transferring to Your Name:
In Vermont, for instance, if the vehicle is 15 years old or older, you can use Form VT 95 to transfer the vehicle and obtain a new title or registration title based solely on a bill of sale. However, for newer vehicles, you might need the prior owner to sign a power of attorney for the transaction.

Consider bonded titles:
Another option is a bonded title, but it comes with its own set of obstacles. A bonding company issues a policy guaranteeing payment if there are any title problems. However, they verify numerous details, which might not be much different from the verification process at the DMV.

Sales Taxes and Transfers:
When transferring the title, be aware that there may be sales taxes due if they haven’t been paid previously. These taxes are triggered by the transfer itself. But regardless of the method chosen, you can handle all these processes yourself without the need for a third party.

Visit Our YouTube Channel for more insights and discussions on various topics. Consider subscribing to our YouTube channel. Click here!

Have Title Questions? Talk to a Car Title Expert.

Book a consultation with a Car Title Expert from to get personalized guidance on your title recovery journey.

Don’t let uncertainty hold you back. If it’s your car, you deserve a title.

Share this article!

Check Your VIN Instantly:

Powered by